Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dan had exploratory surgery today

Ok, when I woke up this morning to get ready to go and spend the day at the hospital with Dan I was really thinking we would just be sitting around all day.  But our surgeon had a change of heart overnight ( I wonder if I had anything to do with that?) and decided to go ahead and operate on Dan today.  I did not have much notice and I was not rushing up there but then Dan called and said he stopped by and the Dr. is going to do it in a couple hours.  So I raced up there( we are an hour south of hospital) and got there 15 mins before they took him to the pre-op area.  I was able to go down with him while he waited.

The surgeon came by and saw us beforehand and told us what he was going to try and do.  I told him how happy I was that he changed his mind.  I really was pretty unsure that this could just fix itself....there was just way to much pain involved. 

Once it was over, our surgeon came and told me that he had an unusually large amount of scar tissue around one of the connections that was actually bending the bowel in half in a kink.   He has never seen anything like this (this much scar tissue this early on) and he thinks that Dan may have had a reaction to the suture that was used.  So he replaced the suture material, removed as much scar tissue as possible and straighten out the kinked area.  He looked at me and said "This would not have fixed itself on it's own quickly, maybe over a 2 to 3 week time frame".....I told him I was so glad it was over and now we can get back to recovering and getting back to normal.  

Dan returned to his room about an hour later and he is sore, but stood up and went to the bathroom on his own, eating ice chips and trying to stay comfortable.  The plan is to come home on Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank God he is OK !!
    Hope he feel's better soon !

    ReplyDelete